Here are some of the reasons I love this program so much:
- It's free.
- It can open almost ANY image, including Photoshop, Illustrator, .gif, .jpg, .png, etc. (Be sure to get the plugins...)
- It can open almost ANY video files, including .mpg, .avi, etc...
- You can do basic operations such as pasting in a screenshot and saving. You can crop, resize, resample, reduce colors or go to grayscale (I often do this when pasting a screenshot into email to minimize message size and bandwidth usage.)
- It has support for basic effects, but also lets you use Adobe .8BF filters, too!
- Did I mention it's free? If not, it's free!
- It's updated frequently. I had v3.95 on my machine when I started this, but found that v3.97 was available. (I updated immediately...!)
- It can whip out thumbnails for a whole directory for quick viewing super fast. Very useful to find a file you seek quickly.
- You can defined an external editor per file type. I have my image files (all types) associated with Irfanview. When I double click a .psd file, it opens there and shows me if it's the file I think it is. Then I can hit SHIFT+E and it opens in Adobe. But I was able to determine if it was the file I was looking for without having to actually load Photoshop.
If you haven't ever used this little program I highly recommend downloading it and trying it. You have nothing to lose, but you might find you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!
- Will Belden
August 9, 2005